Monday, March 30, 2009

Monday Morning Mashup

Time: 68:49
Distance: 10.97 miles
Pace: 6:17
Map

W/u: 7:21, 6:56, 1:41 (for .24 at 7:06 pace)
3 miles: 5:18, 5:17, 5:16
.49 recovery: 3:54
3 miles: 5:21, 5:21, 5:13
C/d: 8:15, 7:18, 1:31 (for .22 at 6:57)

I met Scotty D along Pickard this morning for a bit of a workout. Jailhouse had me running 2 x 3 miles in 5:20-25 with 800m recovery. I figured that keeping things familiar on Pickard would be wise despite our spring breezes of 20 mph out of the south. If you check out the map, you can see that the first half mile was windy and then running south along Jenkins was windy. Luckily, the route had us finishing with a wind-aided half mile.

I led much of the first effort feeling strong but a bit weary of what the wind would do to the exersion level. I wasn't planning on starting off at sub-5:20 pace but that's what the legs wanted to do. Running into the wind wasn't as big of a factor on the first part as I would have thought. The rhythm was working well and I was slowing up the final section just trying to remain smooth.

The second interval started much like the first but since I was warm it felt much easier. Cutting over on Timberdell past Barry Switzer's house was windier but the pace wasn't as quick. I hoped to ease off the pace a bit in the early stages so that Scotty and I could work together coming off Jenkins. The final battle into the wind wasn't too bad and things got rolling along Imhoff. I dropped the pace on the slight downhill and continued pressing a bit all the way to the finish.

Overall, I'm glad at how the body responded despite the conditions. I recovered quickly between sets and the pace wasn't over the top. I'm glad to be getting in any work at sub-marathon pace these days.

No comments: