Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Hurried Run

Time: 37:08
Distance: 5.45 miles
Pace: 6:48
Map

My dad came to visit yesterday afternoon which means Meagan and I will be able to explore the city and surrounding areas. This morning Mr. Let'sGoToTheBiltmore got his way and we were all off to Asheville, NC. It's about a two hour drive from the Queen City to one of America's Best retirement spots.

We arrived at the mansion and took a tour of the 170,000 sq. ft. home with over 250 rooms. The Biltmore Estate is situated on 170,000 acres and was built by Richard Morris Hunt while the landscaping was done by Fredrick Law Olmstead. Now if this were 2004 I could tell you all about Olmstead and some of his other creations because I took a class on urban development. In fact, Professor Malone was one of my favorites as he had great slides of photos he took and stories about each one. However, I have forgotten all those little tidbits of information but I did still remember that Olmstead was responsible for New York's Central Park.

Anyway, this run was just long enough for me to put in some miles before leaving. I felt good and wanted to run more but we had a 10:00 departure time.

No comments: