Saturday, September 5, 2009

Running Vanderbilt Style

Time: 63:46
Distance: 9.40 miles
Pace: 6:47
Map

Meagan, pops and I spent all day walking around the Biltmore House with a bunch of other folks who were all impressed with the expansiveness of the estate. The tour of the house lasted about 2 hours and went along all floors of the house. Some of the highlights included the dining room with an organ, library with a chess set that once belonged to Napoleon and an indoor pool with underwater lighting though it was unfilled. I'm not sure how safe the underwater lighting systems of the early 1900s were, but it was probably top notch during the time of construction. Everything about the house was built to last and the grounds were just as important to George Vanderbilt. At one point he owned all that was visible from the views of the house. I would include more pictures of the inside of the house but photos weren't allowed during the tour.

Front shot of the Biltmore House.

Shot of the house from one of the garden paths.

Vanderbilt once owned as far as the eye could see.

A window.

The front lawn looking away from the house.


We left the house around 4 in the pm and began driving along the road that leaves the grounds. After driving past Bass Pond and seeing some bikers and a lady jogging with her dogs, my dad joked that maybe I should just run from here. I called his bluff as I quickly ducked into a parking lot near a Segway path and proceeded to strip into my running clothes. I grabbed my phone and earbuds and was off. I ran along a bike/walking path that I think is primarily used by guests staying at the Biltmore Inn. There were a few miles of path to be run before coming to the Outdoors Center and stables. I realized that I was a little lost from the main road, but once I got my bearings I was off past the winery and on my way. I put in about 7 miles before leaving the estate's grounds and then dropped my phone off at the Starbucks where Meagan and my dad were enjoying some 'ffeine brew. I still had 20 minutes to run so I continued up the road and happened upon Asheville High School which was quite scenic. A high school also means that there would be a track nearby and so I put in a few laps on the facility. I finished up the run back at the Starbucks and we all proceeded on our merry way back to Charlotte.

*Photos stolen from Meagan's facebook profile.

No comments: