Saturday, October 22, 2011

Salem Woods in the Muck

Time: 94:14
Distance: 17.87
Pace: 5:16

In an effort to get this blog up to date and have some more meaningful posts, I'm going to begin a massive posting spree starting with most recent (today) going back several weeks (Oct. 5th).

This morning I was texted by the Karhu CEO asking if I were up for a run. We were to meet up at the edge of Salem/Marblehead where a trail comes to a convenient end. I changed into my running costume and set out a few minutes late for the trail.

It didn't take me too long to find the midpoint of the trail which is just a few blocks from the town center and make my way out to the edge of town. I ran past a small private school where youth soccer games were being held and cross paths with one of 5 people I know in town. His name is Sean and we met last Friday night at a dinner party that included a round of stories that could only be described as a "code brown situation." It happens to everyone right? This morning he was wearing a pair of Karhus so that's at least one pair of feet in New England supporting the cause.

Huub (CEO) was a few minutes late which is to be expected. It took me a few minutes to calm my pace from a hurried 4:30/k out the door to a calm 5:30/k clip. The pace would only get slower because we soon found ourselves in Salem Woods which apparently doesn't drain very well. Had I been running solo, I would have turned around 400m into the woods when we came to the first mini-bog, but good ol' Huub just lumbered right on with me following close behind. I would be able to come close to replicating the loop but I do know that we took every right turn possible.

The trail was narrow, muddy, full of rock and roots, and overgrown with all sorts of vegetation. Clearly this is a real popular place to run. I was mainly worried about ticks jumping on me and burrowing into my skin before I had a chance to brush them off. Lyme disease is the last thing I need right now, but would be only fitting for a lackluster 2011.

I was happy to get out of the trails and back onto solid footing around the 75 minute mark. We ran together for another kilometer before parting ways. I headed back on the trail and picked up the pace all the way back to the fort. I fortunately didn't find any ticks on my body so I will hopefully live to run another day. I am now sitting in the dining room listening to music watching boats and birds travel past the window.

No comments: