Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Urban Athletics Workout in NYC

Time: 56:15
Distance: 11.48k

W/u: 19:18 for 4k
W/o: 6 x 600m with 3:00 rest
C/d: 15:23 for 3.03k

Yesterday I had a visit with Urban Athletics owner Jerry Macari at their Downtown location. I told him that a friend from Charlotte had recently moved to NYC and joined his store's team. Jerry invited me out to the team's workout the next night and that I should coordinate with Jason (hearing Jay called Jason is weird to me). I did just that as the workout was sent to Jay via email on Tuesday morning with the time and place. I had originally planned to head back to Pleasantville early in the day, but I just couldn't pass up an opportunity like this. I was even invited to eat dinner with Jay, Lauren and the Seavers after the workout, but that would just have been too much fun for one night. Next time.

I hung out at Urban Athletic's Uptown location for about 30 minutes prior to the workout. I was seriously second guessing if I should jump in as I really haven't done anything remotely like quick 600s in months. Plus, I had run with Ozzie and Neely early this morning and walked 40 blocks earlier in the day under the refusal of using the Subway for a 2 stop trip. Big mistake.

By the time Jay had arrived, I was mentally ready to put in work and it went a little something like this...

Splits:
1:46.7 (2:15), 1:44.9 (2:13), 1:44.8 (2:16), 1:46.2 (2:11), 1:44.9 (2:14), 1:46.0
21:44 for 4.45k total

Not totally impressive, but not terrible either. I never felt great and nearly started dry heaving after the fourth one. It was also a bit disheartening to watch two guys absolutely torch me on all of the intervals. However, it was fun being out in Central Park with a buddy from Charlotte running a workout and being cheered on by a store owner. Maybe this butt kicking is what I needed to get my training back on track.

No comments: