Thursday, January 17, 2008

Indoor Track Workout

Time: 55 minutes
Distance: 8 miles

This morning I got up to read on the Internet that it was 4 degrees outside. I quickly texted Tom asking him what to do. Should I wait for a warmer day or what? In the back of my mind I knew the indoor track was an option but I didn't want to use it. He called and told me to get in the Mosier Facility and just adjust the time. Originally I was planning to warm up 25 minutes, do strides, run 1 x 600 in 1:27, cool down 25 minutes. Pretty straight forward day. Since the indoor track here at OU runs foolishly slow I was shooting for 1:30-1:31. The turns are really tight and the surface is really fast. Not a great combo for your hips.

I bundled up and made my way towards campus with my Nike Ventulus spikes in hand. I threw them over the fence and onto the indoor track before finishing a loop through campus. C/d 26:22. I was sure to stretch and did some drills. I ran a couple hard 100s in trainers and then did 2 x 200 with pretty good rest before the 600s.

Target: 1 x 600 hard.
Splits: 27.73, (2:38), 27.83, (4:00), 1:27.58.

The 200s felt really fast but it felt good to get in spikes for the first time since my beer mile in May. I can't believe how awkward the track is to run on. I had forgotten how awful it feels to run smoothly on the straights and get tossed into the turn out of balance. The 600 was a success. I didn't have much confidence for the day. And still don't. But I was pleased I was able to run under 1:30. I started locking up a bit with 100m to go.

I cooled down back to the Lodge and added on around the parking lot to get 25:03.

No comments: