Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tom McArdle is the Wost Coach Ever

Time: 89:55
Distance: 13 miles

I spoke with my coach last night about this weeks training. I mentioned that it was going to be terribly windy for the next few days and that perhaps the training should be structured to accommodate the conditions. Tom gave me a call back and had a pretty good workout in mind for the GT.

Target: 3 sets of 800 hard - 400 easy - 400 hard - 400 easy - 800 hard - 400 easy. 800s in 2:30, 400s in 72. The easy sections were at my choosing. The times for the workout were already adjusted for windy weather.

As I was warming up to the GT I could tell the workout was going to be stupid. At a couple points I was almost at a standstill b/c the wind was so strong. I knew once I was out at the field that things would only be worse, so I considered bagging the workout and making it a morning run. I knew that the wind would die down in the evening, but I wouldn't have time to workout until after 9 pm. I weighed my options A) workout now when it was warm and windy or B) workout in the dark when it was cold and not windy. I chose option A. Not sure if it was the right decision after warming up for 29:33.

Splits: 2:41.54, (1:46), 72.06, (1:49), 2:32.98, (1:54)
2:35.83, (1:54), 71.82, (1:51), 2:37.07, (1:51)
2:37.25, (1:50), 73.62, (2:06), 2:33.94, (1:57) 36:15 total for 6 miles (not even 6 minute pace)

What an absolutely brutal day! At a couple points when I was running west into the wind it felt like someone had a rope tied to my back and was pulling in the other direction. The wind was probably in the 30s, maybe even gusting to 40 mph. Not a good way to get in work. I could never relax b/c I was either struggling into the wind or my stride was being blown all over the place. I'm not even sure if my heart rate got elevated b/c I averaged over 6 minute pace. Tom has clearly forgotten what a windy day in Oklahoma is really like. He's been off in Kentucky making love to his cousin or sister and not worrying about the "slight breezes" we have he in the OK state.

On the cool down of 24:07 the winds changed and the front hit. Instead of blowing out of the southwest, a brisk wind from the north came in and immediately it dropped 10-15 degrees. I guess I'm happy I got a little work in before it turned cold again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're a tough bastard. Working out in that wind was a mental exercise more than anything. I just said eff to my workout and jogged so good on you and now you'll be ready to run that much harder next time in an obsurd wind.

Unknown said...

what a terrible day to get out there. i wanted to pack things in sooo many times while being out there. if you look at one of the easy 400s you can see i ran over 2 mins. at that point the wind had picked up so much that i was basically walking.