Thursday, July 29, 2010

Booty Loop Workout

Time: 79:54
Distance: 11.54 miles

W/u: 24:09 for 2.98 miles
W/o: 2 x 3 miles at Caitlin's pace w/ 4 mins rest
C/d: 19:12 for 2.56 miles

Scott Schilter and I had to be in Greensboro for an appointment with Omega at 10 which meant fitting in a run had to be early. Meagan and I were out the door at 5:40 am on our warm up to the tennis courts of Freedom Park. We were meeting Caitlin, Justin, Mike Beigay, Brian McMahon, Paul and Lat Purser for some Booty loops. It was one of Caitlin's first marathon specific workouts and it called for 3 x 3 miles at 6:20 pace. It turns out that my schedule said 10 miles steady with some hill sprints. I failed to look at the schedule prior to running as I was just happy to be out the door. I ended up doing the first two sets of Caitlin's workout with Meagan and the others mentioned.

Splits:
6:14, 6:13, 6:03 for 18:30
(4 mins)
6:03, 6:07, 5:53 for 18:03

I was thoroughly impressed with Caitlin's workout given the hour, the effort and the placement in her training cycle. She nailed the splits and truly crushed the goal pace. It was also great having the group atmosphere with some pretty solid runners pounding the pavement. I was given the duty of leading the second set which is why the pace was a bit quick. The course we ran started uphill, leveled off and then ended with a long downhill. I have only run 3 x 3 miles once before and it didn't turn out so well. I wanted to stick around for the final 3 miles, but Meagan reminded me that I had to be at Scott's hotel at 8 am and it was already 7:00. I opted to return back home so that we would get a late start to the day.

The Nuun showing to Omega went well. Really well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was a great group. I'm glad that you and Meagan are such an integral part to my marathon training!! I wish Meagan was doing Twin Cities!!!