Thursday, July 15, 2010

Spring Lake and Annadel Memories

Time: 54:55
Distance: 7.74 miles
Pace: 7:05
Map

Strides: 6 x 130m
C/d: 7:29 for 1.03 miles

My double run this evening brought back some fond memories of running from my mom's house, to Howarth Park, through Spring Lake and on to the trails of Annadel. I was supposed to run steady this afternoon and do some strides, but I just wasn't feeling the steady portion for various reasons. Instead, I let my mind and body wander on the soft dirt trails that introduced me to the sport of running. I ran into Coach Louis Rosales who is now at Piner High School and is in the process of building a solid program. When I was in high school, Piner could barely field a cross-country team and now they are challenging for the league title.

My run brought me up Spring Creek to the hairpin turn where I opted to turn around and forgo the climb up to Lake Ilsanjo. Once I returned to Howarth Park I got to chat with one of Coach Rosales athletes who will be a stud in the coming years. Eventually I made my way over to a dam and ran 6 x ~130m at a good tempo. I was able to open up the stride and work on quickening the turnover.

I should mention that it was hot out there today, especially for Santa Rosa. My guess is low 90s but it felt comfortable due to the lack of humidity. My shorts were dry by the time I started the cool down back to my mom's.

No comments: