Sunday, July 18, 2010

Week in Review

Time: 602:53
Distance: 87.61 miles

I had a pretty good week that started with a solid workout with Compton at Providence Day School. I felt relaxed running a little under 5 minute pace and finishing with a fast final 1k. The time in Cali mid week was acceptable and the workout on Friday went well. I didn't set any world records in the cooler temps, but I kept things relaxed. I was most pleased with the surges during the long run because I felt confident running hard. I have a couple of more days here in San Diego before returning to the swamp of Charlotte. I don't plan on doing another workout as I feel a little beat up from some of the recent runs.

The best part of the week was discovering Donut Haven in Hillcrest. I've seen it many times before and threatened Meagan to go in, but never pulled the trigger. On Saturday morning I finally committed and took a spin through the shop. I couldn't help myself and decided to roll with the fritter. I was an infrequent member of the OU Friday Morning Fritter Crew at Donut King (open 24 hours!) when I lived in Norman. Scotty D and associates have an affinity for fritters and the one at Donut Haven was definitely one of the best. No lie. The problem with most donut shops' apple fritters is that there is no apple. Donut Haven had the right combo of crispy fried dough to apple filling. It wasn't the best move in terms of eating right, but I wish I had one right now.

I have few dreams in this world: (1) be a slumlord, (2) own a donut shop, (3) make the world's best fritter.

Ladies, it's bigger than it looks. So delicious too.

No comments: