Friday, December 11, 2009

Karhu Racer Test Run

Time: 10:28
Distance: ~1.5 miles

A few days ago I started toying with the idea of running Charlotte's Thunder Road Marathon. I haven't trained specifically for the event, run longer than 16.8 miles in over 4 months and had the swine flu two weeks ago. It sounds like a great idea. I need something to jump start my training and get me focused on the runner I want and know I can be. I also would be able to rock some Craft, Karhu and Balega gear during the race. Meagan was able to hook me up with an entry because she knows people at Run For Your Life and, if anything, it would just be a very very long training run.

The Karhu Racer with Finnish flare.

This afternoon I busted out the Karhu Racer's for the first time. The shoe isn't available until the spring which means I have the sample. It's a great shoe, firm but smooth transition and a sweet look. However, it's sample size. I wear a 10.5 running shoe, sample size is 9.0. Yikes! I jogged around the Montford Rd. area for 10 minutes trying to decide if running 26.2 miles in a shoe that is nearly 2 sizes too small was doable. It's already a terrible idea for me to run the full distance, but to run the full distance with really small shoes, that's just asking for trouble. Oh well, Meagan doesn't think I'm a genius anyway.

2 comments:

echoplex89 said...

how do they fit?

Unknown said...

The shoes fit well. I now have a pair that is my correct size and love them. I've run in lots of flats over the years from all the major brands and I would say that the Karhu Racer is right there in terms of comfort and performance.

Previously, my favorite racing flat would have to be the Lunar Racer as it's responsive yet cushioned over 26.2 miles. I like the upper of the Karhu better than the Nike. The forefoot could be just a touch more cushioned, but overall it's a great shoe.