Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Rare Morning of Rain

Time: 57:43
Distance: 9.11 miles
Pace: 6:20
Map

Yesterday I posted about how it never rains in Palm Springs and that it was an ideal location for Hollywood stars to spend the weekend. Well, that wasn't entirely true because it occasionally rains in PS, just like it did this morning. I have been here a few times when the desert receives rain. And let me tell you that the city is definitely not set up to take it. The streets immediately start to fill up with water as there are no gutters.

In early 2008,
Owen gave me a hard time on a run because I promised great weather and it was raining in PS. I tried to convince him that it wasn't really raining and supported my argument with a simple equation: rain precipitation on shirt > sweat precipitation on shirt = rain. That is, if the water falling from the sky soaks your shirt more than the sweat soaks your shirt, then it's raining.

The rain had stopped by the time I left the house. I put in about 6 miles before starting to feel really good. It helped that I ran down a huge hill and the pace dropped from the 6:35 to 6:45 range to low 6:00. I was about .75 miles from the house and was really relaxed so I just took off. I started hammering the pace while keeping the form and breathing as comfortable as possible. I wanted to see what I could run for a final split and ended up hitting 5:16. Since I started hammering a little over a quarter mile into the mile, I figure I was running sub-5:00 pace to close the run out.

Splits: 7:07, 6:44, 6:41, 6:35, 6:35, 6:05, 5:56, 5:58, 5:16

No comments: