Thursday, March 11, 2010

Achilles Track Tester

Time: 87:09
Distance: 12.16 miles

W/u: 21:09 for 2.85 miles
W/o: 6 x mile with Jay w/ 1 min. rest
C/d: 28:05 for 3.31 miles

I got a big confidence booster tonight on the AG track. The goal of the workout was to run relaxed, focus on form and, most importantly, make sure the achilles didn't act up. I met Billy Shue, Jay Holder, Aaron Linz, Jason and John at the track for some mile repeats. Jason (the guy from this morning's workout) was attempting his first speed session in 5 years. First session in five years and it came as a double, that's commitment.

We warmed up around the neighborhoods and returned coming by the Myers Park HS track. I slipped into my properly fitting Karhu Racers and got to work.

Working out in lane two, Jay led intervals one and two. I took over for three and four. Aaron, from lane one (it's about 15 meters short) controlled the pace on mile five. I then took off on the final repeat.

Splits: 5:32, (67), 5:38, (70), 5:33, (70), 5:20, (72), 5;15, (65), 4:53 for 37:55 total and 6+ miles.

That felt good. Very comfortable. No discomfort. Shoes felt great. Excellent weather. Good company. Fun night to be on the track.

I stayed tucked behind Jay for the early part of the workout and broke out later on. I realize that if I race in 8 days I will need to run sub-5:30s for 26.2 miles without rest. The most encouraging part of the workout came when I closed in 4:53. I didn't look at splits and just kept squeezing the pace down. It was hard to judge the effort in the dark, but when I finished it felt like a 5:05 effort. I was surprised to see a sub-5:00 split tossed in there.

The cool down was the ugliest part of this workout. I felt horrible. Hungry. Lightheaded. My vision blurred about 15 minutes into it and I thought about stopping, but we were still a ways from the cars. I slowed down a bit and focused a bit harder. I was definitely low on fuel reserves. When I got back to the car I ate a CarbBOOM! and hurried home so that I could slam some food and beers.

No comments: