Sunday, March 21, 2010

Week in Review

Time: 689:10
Distance: 99.87 miles

This was probably a bit much for the week of a marathon. I mentioned in my race recap that I underestimated the competition at the Tobacco Road Marathon and overestimated the amount of work I could do the week of a marathon. Both of these mistakes brought a sub-par performance on Sunday. However, I will still take a 2 sec. personal best despite the miscalculations. I'm fairly pleased with the race and happy that I was mentally focused/tough on race day. Making the jump from high 2:20s to low 2:20s is going to be a challenge, but I'm up for it in the coming months.

I'm yet to talk over the race with my coach, but I have some ideas for the next cycle or phase that I will be entering. When I ran Oklahoma City I toed the line feeling incredibly fresh. I got halfway feeling like the race wasn't a big deal. Tobacco Road was a whole different story. I felt flat at 5k and just didn't have the incredible bounce in the step that you want. It's a good sign that I was able to run faster on a dirt course feeling sluggish.

If I had a "do over" I wouldn't have raced on Saturday, only worked out once during the week and put in a total of 50 miles prior to the race. As it was, I worked out Tuesday, Wednesday, raced Saturday and had a total of about 75 mile heading into the marathon. Live and learn.

1 comment: