Thursday, March 25, 2010

The New Karhu Forward Rides

Time: 44:44
Distance: 6.01 miles
Pace: 7:26
Map

I've started wearing a new shoe as of last week. I've switched models of Karhu kicks from the Fast Fulcrum_Ride to the Forward Fulcrum_Ride. So far I have about 50 miles on the new shoes and really like the performance. The heel fit is much more snug, the toe box is comfortable, the laces lock in the foot securely and the ride is great.

I have run in a lot of shoes over the years, and I have to say that I'm quite pleased with this one. The cushioning in the forefoot is also much more plush than the Fast Ride. Karhu isn't a brand that is going to provide maximum cushioning, but sometimes I was looking for a bit more under my metatarsals when I wore the Fast Ride. With this Forward Ride, I feel like the toes are more comfortable on the really easy days where my pace isn't fast and I'm not running quite as efficient.


The run with Meagan this morning was pleasant. We put in a few miles around Freedom Park before she had to depart for the west coast. Meagan will be racing the 10k at the Stanford Invite on Friday night. I haven't found a website that is going to broadcast the race live. Regardless, it would be difficult to stay up for the roughly 1:00 AM EST start time.

4 comments:

Meagan Nedlo said...

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view/236780/live

Unknown said...

good rollin' for Meagan. How do you rate these FR's as compared to, say, the lunartrainer? I figure the higher heal/toe ratio was pretty comparable. We have it, of course, and I've sold it but... I really like the karhu racer but to really advocate it I would have to get in good shape and stay healthy which could be more than I'm capable of these days, what with a McNellie's in town and all.

Kevin Balance said...

just read your marathon review. A PR on a sandy road is nothing to sneeze at...good job!

Unknown said...

dizzle, it's hard to compare the lunar trainer to anything currently on the market. i was a big fan of that shoe and was disappointed nike went away from it. i think the lunar trainer's big step in the right direction had more to do with the new "lunar" foam and not necessarily the heal:toe ratio.

that being said, the heal:toe ration of the forward ride is what sets it apart. a few years ago it seemed that a lot of shoe brands were going more towards a 1:1 ratio instead of the standard 2:1. most brands don't really publish or know the heal:toe ration, but the forward ride's is significant. it's something like 25:11 if you exclude the rubber sole. this shoe brings me back to the adidas supernova control 10 which was the model before it went to the supernova sequence (a shoe that tried to replicate the 2130/2140 at the time).

the racer is awesome. the heal is firm and the transition is really responsive. it's not as cushioned as say the nike lunar race, but what it lack in cushion it makes up in a better fitting upper. right now i'd say the two best karhu shoes are the racer and the forward ride.

get back to being healthy and we'll have to race the blue ridge relay.