Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Meagan's Mile Repeats

Time: 74:51
Distance: 10.32 miles

W/u: 16:11 for 2.01 miles
W/o: 6 x mile w/ 3 mins. rest
C/d: 10.04 for 1.24 miles

It was an early morning to be up and out at McAlpine for a workout with Meagan. She was needing to fit in her mile repeats before heading off to work all day. Her coach generally doesn't assign target times to hit and prefers the athletes to figure out the pace based on a hard effort. Meagan told me that she would like to hit about 5:40s which seemed like it would be a good first 10k type workout.

The trail was pretty quiet with only a few morning walkers out. It was colder than I expected too. After my workout last night my legs were feeling good, but I was just a little fatigued in general. It definitely was going to take a few intervals to get the legs and lungs opened up.

Splits:
5:44, (2:59), 5:36, (3:00), 5:33, (3:01),
5:32, (3:00), 5:35, (3:00), 5:29 for 48:36 and 7.08 miles total

Pretty solid workout for Ms. Nedlo. I had pacing duties on the morning and allowed Meagan to sit off me each mile. I tried to listen to her breathing and adjust the pace based on feel. We dialed in on 5:30s with relative ease and it didn't seem like she was pressing too much until the last interval. When we had completed three of the miles, I asked for Meagan's watch as I could see the workout was going really well. I wanted to start quickening the pace without her knowing 400, 800, 1200 splits. She stayed right on the pace throughout and finished up strong. Her first 10k of the season will be out at Stanford in about 10 days. I think she can run close to 35:00 which would be over a minute PR.

No comments: