Friday, March 12, 2010

Sore Quads & HR Training

Time: 36:28
Distance: 5.26 miles
Pace: 6:55
Map

I want to say that my legs are thrashed, but it would be a bit misleading. They aren't and they shouldn't be, but they sure are sore. The workout didn't do much to increase the level of fatigue which is a good sign a little over a week out from TRM. I have to get the quads used to pounding again while taking the time to properly recover.

The Jordan of old would have run longer than 5 miles or doubled on the day because the achilles is better. However, I decided that after running 17 miles yesterday, I better continue to be smart and allow the body to recover some more. I felt stiff on the run this morning and stretching doesn't seem to help at all. I continue to use a massager after runs.

My coach Jeff Gaudette aka Jailhouse Jeff (that is a story for him to tell you) recently has been updating his online coaching website. I'll give him a lot of respect for the website's clean and efficient experience. Jeff was a classics concentrator at Brown so I have no idea where he learned his website creating skills (perhaps he aced CS2, an intro computer science class you took to boost the GPA). Most recently, Jeff posted an article about heart rate training that I think is particularly interesting. I don't do much, or any, of my training based on heart rate, but the article is informative. Also, it links to a pretty cool heart rate calculator that is simple to use and provides a description of different training zones.

I would encourage my readers to take a took at what Jeff has put together as I think it can apply to most peoples' training programs. Also, feel free to use Jeff as a resource. I know Allen Strickland received a bit of guidance in his lead up to the Shamrock Marathon.

No comments: