Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Loop Shake Out

Time: 36:29
Distance: 5.27
Pace: 6:55
Map

This afternoon I went to see Ryan Danner who is a local sports medicine guy that is opening a new practice in Charlotte. He used to work for Carolina Sports Clinic but recently left to start his own operation. I met him at his office location off Park Rd. in south Charlotte where he recently received a table, some Graston tools and a couple of other key pieces of equipment. I wanted Ryan to take a look at my achilles in order for me to know that all was good and racing a marathon on Sunday wouldn't be a problem.

He warmed up some of the muscles and tendons first and then whipped out the Graston devices. It's the first time I've had those implements used on my legs and I'm not sure of what to think. I understand the principle behind their use, but I'm not sure why the actual tools are so important and expensive. Ryan found a couple of "gritty" parts and was able to flush out some of the build up. He also did active release therapy (ART) which is also something I've never had done. I've heard and read a lot on the technique and definitely see it as being useful/helpful.

When I left the session my left calf felt generally more relaxed and looser than it had all week. The marathon is still a go.

I laced up the shoes for a short run through Freedom Park to help flush out some of the junk. The achilles felt a little sore from the Graston, but nothing I was worried about. I iced my lower leg upon returning then I went out in search of Guinness.

No comments: