Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ben's Workout Partner/Bitch

Time: 73:30
Distance: 11.93 miles

W/u: 15:02 for 2.01 miles
W/o: 8 mile tempo
C/d: 14:38 for 2.00 miles

I continued my role as pacesetter this morning with Ben Hovis from the McMullen Greenway parking lot. I'm turning into the next Martin Keino (scroll down). *Warning: Nerdy Track Lesson*

Check out this article I found on the legendary pace setter on the European track circuit. Martin is the son of the legendary Kip Keino who won Olympic medals in Mexico City and Munich. When I first started following the sport, Martin Keino was nine times out of 10 at the front of the race rattling off perfectly executed even splits for the likes of Hicham El Guerrouj (mile world record holder), Daniel Komen (former 5k world record holder), Haile Gebrsallasie (former 5k/10k world record holder, current marathon wr). Martin could handle all types of races from the 1500 to the 5k. He would take the real "hitters" to as far as 1000m to 1200m in a 1500m race in unthinkable times. If anyone could earn the claim of being a human metronome, it would be this guy.

One last thought, I had never heard of pace setting referred to as "king makers," and I really like it.

Originally, Dan Matena was scheduled to join the workout, but he went to the wrong parking lot and was left out to dry. Ben Hovis and I warmed up on the first mile of the greenway. We were able to discuss what he wanted to do this morning. He had just driven back from a big time high school 3200 (girls/boys video) at the Raleigh Relays. His goal was to run hard for 8 miles hopefully hitting 5:30-5:40 miles. We would start a little off the pace and work into the pace. I was game to helping out his cause.

Splits:
5:48, 5:39, 5:33, 5:19 (a little off as I hit the lap button on the watch to get back on the markers),
5:31, 5:24, 5:33, 5:14 for .95 miles or 5:32 pace.
Total of 43:50 for 7.92 miles

There will be a little bit of disparity between my splits and Hovis' because I was going according to Mr. Garmin and he was hitting it at the mile markers.

I didn't feel good until about 2.5 miles where I finally was able to relax. I'm not sure what it was but I didn't feel comfortable early on. I'm pleased with the effort as I ran in the Forward Rides and don't think it limited me too much. I was glad to help out this morning and enjoyed being at a good training site that I don't use often.

4 comments:

Coach Gaudette said...

I like the term "king makers". From now on, I am exclusively referring to myself as a king maker when I pace anyone.

p.s. I'll be calling you shortly to discuss the next segment

Anonymous said...

Dude,

Love the nerdy track lessons - nerdy track guys love nerdy track lessons and old-school track references.

Hey man, snagged some SWAG CarbBOOM at Shamrock and dug it. Who carries it around here (i.e., North side, lake area)?

Unknown said...

Allen,

I'm working on getting a local list of CarbBOOM dealers. Unfortunately, there aren't any in the immediate area that I know of.

If you would like a particular flavor I have a few samples that I could give you. Which flavor did you try at Shamrock.

It's my hope to open a few new accounts this spring. The cycling community really likes the stuff and there might be a bike shop out there that currently carries the gels.

Anonymous said...

I had the Grape Pomegranate and the Strawberry Kiwi - of the 2, I like the GP flavor best. Really like the consistency and the fact that they're made with all natural ingredients. I've been struggling with this fuel business forever and think CarbBOOM may finally be the answer. I (selfishly) hope you have success finding new accounts. You can tell Chris (Elkins, the owner) at University Run For Your Life that you know that I personally will make it profitable for him to carry them!
Are you going to be at the Piper Glen RFYL opening on Saturday? I'm trying to make it up there (running a 5K at 8:00 so it will be tight).