Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Downfall in DC

Time: 43:58
Distance: ~5.3 miles

This morning Meagan and I left Charlotte and arrived in Roanoke, VA for an appointment. I showed Fleet Feet Roanoke my Orthaheel sandal line and then we grabbed a quick bite to eat at Panera. It was a nice way to break up the trip as we were ultimately destined for DC. Meagan has a Karhu and Craft wear test run at a City Sports location tonight which was the main reason for the trip.

The run group met up after dark for a jaunt from 19th St. to the National Mall, around the Christmas tree in front of the Capitol, past the White House and too the start/finish area. The snow that kept Meagan up in DC for an extra night had melted somewhat but was still on display in our nation's capital. I tried to avoid the slick stuff as much as possible, but at times I was running gingerly through ice. My achilles was tight the entire time running in a pair of my Karhu Racers. I had a hard time toeing off so I found myself sitting really far back on my heels. The cold, ice and hills didn't help my cause but I tried to remain patient during the run. Finally, around the 35 minute mark it felt like I was running normally. I didn't have any discomfort and was ready to start pushing the pace. However the run was almost over and I wasn't going to be that guy who kicks it in on training runs.

When I got to Dave Nightingale's pad I was sure to stretch, massage and ice the achilles. My only other real injury this year was back in February when my achilles gave me problems leading up to a spring marathon.

No comments: