Saturday, December 4, 2010

McAlpine for Round Two

Time: 88:57
Distance: ~13.6 miles (conservative estimate)

W/u: 31:29 for ~4.2 miles
W/o: 8 miles up tempo with Caitlin & Meagan
C/d: 10:31 for ~1.4 miles

I made it over to the main entrance just as a large group started their run. I quickly locked my valuables and set off chasing the group. I was only about 150 meters behind and was able to catch up when they turned around 1.25 miles. Another group had started from Old Bell and the entire crew totaled about 20 people. I remember seeing Alice, Danielle, Meagan, Caitlin, the Hovii, Compton, A.J., Lat, Thomas, Michelle, and the Fillnow sisters. Don't get your technical fibers in a twist if I forgot your name! The triathletes were even there as Turdbury and Haycrap decided to put on their running shoes and join the real athletes. It was cool being a part of two big Charlotte Running Club runs on the same day.

After about 4 miles of running the group broke off into clusters. I was going to help Caitlin run part of her 50 minute tempo. A big group decided to tag along and we all began together from the start of the Footlocker Course. I wasn't wearing my Garmin so I had to listen closely for when John's beeped. We were going to run about 4 with the girls and then drop the pace for another 4 miles.

Splits:
12:27 (2 miles), 6:00, 6:15, 5:47, 5:31, 5:15, 5:40 for 46:57 total.

I was chilling for the first half of the up tempo workout and then tried to get things rolling the last half. As the pace got rolling I started to feel better and better. I decided with three miles to go that John and I should maintain for a mile, press mile seven and relax the final mile. I actually missed the split for the 7th mile as I was in the process of dropping John (sorry dude), and couldn't hear the split. We backed off and ran the final mile together before calling it a day. I don't think he knew that I was really at mile 24 on the day by that point. I'm glad that I was able to rattle off a 5:15 mile feeling somewhat in control with that many miles on the legs. I was glad to be finished as my hip flexors were starting to scream and the cold air had my glutes starting to tighten.

No comments: