Thursday, June 17, 2010

Speed Development Struggles

Time: ~45 mins
Distance: ~6 miles

W/u: 30:24 for 4.11 miles
Speed: Drills, 4 x 50m, 4 x 100m
C/d: 13:07 for 1.62 miles

I ran over to the AG track with Meagan for some speed development action. I brought along my Karhu Racers so that I would feel light and fast. I went through a series of drills on the grass infield. I think it was my best session to date as it was easier to pick up my feet as soon as they hit the ground. For me, my focus on doing drills is to lessen the amount of time the feet make contact with the ground. The less time on the ground, the more time moving forward. Simple right?

Next up was the 4 x 50m. I started with two from a standing starting and finished with two from a moving start. It was the same pattern with the 4 x 100m efforts. My first 10 steps are pretty ugly when I start from a standstill. Obviously, I run faster from the gliding start, but more importantly, it feels much better. I started tightening up on the final few sprints which is how I knew the fast twitch fibers were being activated.

A quick cool down back home and some stretching.

No comments: