Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Boardwalk Miles

Time: 29:28
Distance: 4.05 miles
Pace: 7:17
Map

Meagan and I were up relatively early for a run along the boardwalk. Last night we thought we wanted to drive over to First Landing State Park so we could run on softer surfaces. However, I could see from our hotel room window that the sun was coming up over the horizon and I thought it would be cool to be out near the water. I also thought that at 6:45 am in Virginia Beach on a Tuesday, we would be two of only a handful of people out and about. Not true. The boardwalk was bustling with early morning walkers, joggers, bicyclists and roller skaters. The crowd was definitely a bit older from the night before, but I was still surprised.

We just ran up two miles and back two miles to hit our goal. For about 10 minutes in the middle a guy had a good "jogger war" with us. He definitely ran up on us and stayed back about 3 steps daring us to pick up the pace. I so wanted to drop the hammer and just shake the guy. I could tell from his breathing that he was struggling, but loving every second of it. Finally, he turned off and we were able to relax.

I checked out of the hotel, did some last minute exploration and headed out of town in the direction of Greenville, NC.

No comments: