Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Haha. I Win.

Time: 66:27
Distance: 8.96 miles

W/u: 22:49 for 2.80 miles
W/o: 4 x 1k with 2:00 rest at 5k goal pace
C/d: 25:47 for 3.21 miles

I was up and at them early, early, early this morning in order to beat the authorities to the track. I was out the door a little after 6 am for the start of my slow warm up along Shartel (very much like shart). The body was feeling decent but I wasn't too keen on the wind, temp and humidity. All three would be working against me in this workout that is hopefully going to set the tone for the rest of the 5k cycle.

I made it back to the track without too many people in sight. I noticed that there was now a sign on the gate which was also locked telling everyone to "stay off." Too bad Mr. Savely but you should have let me on the track yesterday because I am back... with spikes. Yesterday, I was simply going to wear the Lunar Racers but this morning I broke out the Victory spikes hoping to inflict some damage. The track had been fully resurfaced and was now completely green with no lane stripes or starting/stopping lines.

Jailhouse set the pace at 5k goal pace so I decided to try and run 2:50s off 2 mins rest. I figured it was doable considering the spiked up feet.

Splits: 2:50.31 (1:56), 2:54.18 (2:02), 2:52.67 (2:20), 2:55.23 for 17:51 and 2.95 miles

I'm not where this workout falls in the great scope of things. I felt okay while running it but thought it was going to be faster. The splits aren't all that consistent for whatever reason. I never felt relaxed or in a groove while running the intervals. During the third interval I looked up and noticed some dude walking toward the track who looked official. I was pretty certain that it was Mr. Savely and that he was going to come and kick me off the track. I wasn't feeling stellar so I was going to leave. After number three I sat down un-double knotted the spikes but noticed nobody was coming around the corner. I made the decision to get up and run number four just to finish things out.

Check out this workout that I managed a few years ago.

No comments: