Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lake Hefner Long Run

Time: 106:21
Distance: 16.13 miles
Pace: 6:35
Map

Great times were had last night with Craig, Carolyn, Robbie and Rusty Shakleford. Of course the usual suspects were there in Scotty D, Spenis and Meagan. I crashed on the couch last night which meant I was up early and ready to roll out for a long run around Lake Hefner. Things didn't start off so well as Spencer caught a flat tire and Scotty suffered a bloody nose all within the first 5 minutes of leaving the house. Luckily, Meagan and my departure to Stars and Stripes Park was uneventful as was the beginning of our run.

The sun was out but the humidity was low this morning as a slight breeze crossed the path. Meagan and I ran together for the first 7 miles or so as we clicked off easy miles of: 7:52, 7:17, 7:10, 6:59, 6:59, 7:03, 6:59. I was starting to feel warmed up around the 55 minute mark and left Meagan in my wake. Actually she stopped to stretch as I continued on and picked up the pace. I rattled off miles of 6:42, 6:24, 6:17, 6:10, and 6:17 before leaving the lake at 11-12 miles.

I decided to run back to Spenis' house which meant I got to relive running through Nichols Hills. It was up the overpass (mile 17 of the marathon) and on to the swanky area of Oklahoma City. Jailhouse wanted me to run 5:10s from miles 12-15 so I notched: 5:14, 5:13, and 5:20. It was rough running through NH at that pace and I kept thinking that the marathon felt easier. I wasn't able to hit the prescribed pace but I was close and considering that I was running into a headwind, I'll take it.

I'm happy with this morning's effort and it was followed up with some great eats courtesy of Scotty and Spencer.

No comments: