Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Seriously?!?

I was kicked off the Bishop McGuinness track this am. Will update and post more soon.

Time: 47:14
Distance: 6.03 miles

Update: This morning I was fired up to run a hard workout on the Bishop McGuinness track. They have some great facilities including a recently renovated gym that cost $4 million. I was doing what I needed to do by warming up 24:17 on the run that Spenis showed us last night. I came back to the track where I had stashed my flats only to find that two gentlemen were walking the track. It appeared as though they were checking out what had been done to the track the previous day. As I mentioned yesterday, I think they are resurfacing the track because it looked a little warn in areas, nothing too bad, just a little worn. It's not the greatest track I have ever run on and Norman High's track is far superior. In fact, Norman's track will still be far superior even after the resurfacing has been completed.

I slipped into my flats and jogged a lap of the track in lane 3 or 4. The group of gentlemen had grown to four and I would guess it was two administrators and two coaches. They didn't say anything to me as I jogged the lap but as soon as I started my first interval all hell broke loose. I was being yelled out for the entire 11 seconds of my 1k interval. I stopped and walked back in the direction the men with the hope of being able to talk him down. Turns out that it was Gary Savely, Bishop McGuiness Athletic Director, and he wasn't going to allow me on the track. He explained that they were just in the process of resurfacing (confirmed) and that the track had recently been power washed (I don't run in filthy shoes).

There were several other unreasonable reasons for not being allowed on the track including:
A. It cost $20,000 to resurface the track.
B. It's a private school.
C. The only people who get on the track have jumped the fence.

My response to his reasons would be:
A. What is $20,000 when the gym cost $4 million.
B. The public community of OKC voted Bishop McGuinness best private school.
C. I saw the people running stairs at 7:30 this morning. They were 40 y/o women who did not jump any fences.
D. What would Jesus do?

I left the track and ran 3 more miles in 22:57.

3 comments:

Meagan Nedlo said...

i have officially done it. with this post i have surpassed scotty d in tags, 172 to 171. my summer goal has been completed.

Suzanne said...

LOL "What would Jesus do?" indeed! You forgot to tell them, "After all, I AM Jordan Kinley".

Unknown said...

Dude those guys suck! Apparently you can buy a "pass" to the track, where you give them a bunch of money and they give you a key. So says Salah anyway. Shouldn't we be trying to get more people to the track to run? So much for helping spread the love for fitness and all to the community...