Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Back to the Bay

Time: 86:51
Distance: 14.52 miles
Pace: 5:59
Splits starting with mile 3: (The first few splits were all over the place because I was in downtown SF and had to deal with tall buildings and Mr. Garmin isn't used to them coming from Norman?), 5:48, 6:14, 6:20, 6:02, 5:56, 5:55, 5:41, 5:29, 5:37, 5:32, 5:26, 7:21, 1:29 (for .23 miles or 6:32 pace)

I started the run out from Read and Andrew's house heading towards downtown San Francisco and Union Square. When I'm in the city I normally start my runs from Market St. and 3rd St. near where my dad's place is. I decided to get on familiar territory by running up and over Nob Hill past some cool sites/sights on the way to the Financial District. I was excited to be back in SF again and could tell the pace was going to be elevated as a result. Running down Market St. is always a bit challenging due to the traffic but I was able to navigate my way safely without too many jumps/sprints in front of cars (5:48 mile). When I hit the Embarcadero I was able to settle the pace a little on my way out to the bridge (6:14, 6:20, 6:02).

San Francisco morning.

Shot of the trolley track and the TransAmerica building taken from the top of California St.


Grace Cathedral atop Nob Hill.

Along the Embarcadero I ran by the tourists at Fisherman's Wharf, around Aquatic Park and out along the Marina. I kept the pace going and made the decision to make this a mini-tempo effort since things had progressed in such a way. The splits out to the warming hut and out to Hopper's Hands were 5:56 and 5:55. I made the turn and headed back in the direction of which I had come. I shed the shirt and picked up the pace clicking off 5:41, 5:29. Up the hill by the Safeway slowed the pace to 5:37 and back down through Aquatic Park and Fisherman's Wharf I picked it up to 5:32 and then closed things out with 5:26 ending at Broadway.

I made the turn and ran back up Broadway, through Chinatown (I had to karate chop a few old Chinese ladies in the process) and up the HILL. I didn't want to run through the Broadway Tunnel so I decided to go over the top like Sylvester Stallone which was the poorest of decisions. The pace was nearly a crawl and I had to stop at one point to clutch my knees it was so steep. I wasn't too far from my buddies' house so I was able to escape without too much frustration.

I had a great time getting back to some familiar spots in San Fran and I'm glad to have put the harder effort in. I'll need to rest up the next few days and since it might be raining I probably won't want to run. I think on Christmas I'll try to hit up the Sacramento River for another good effort.

No comments: