Thursday, December 25, 2008

It's My Mom's Birthday Today (And 6 lb. 8 oz. Baby Jesus)

Time: 85:53
Distance: 12.01 miles
Pace: 7:09
Splits: 7:39, 7:20, 7:17, 6:52, 6:55, 6:54, 6:54, 6:52, 7:35, 7:41, 7:15, 6:33

I made a strong effort to run slow today and I think it worked. I didn't have a specific pace in mind but I needed to take a day truly easy. I ran along the Sacramento River which I have done a few times in the past when my mom and I come to visit family. The bike path picks up about 1.5 miles from the house and it runs for miles in both directions. I prefer running to the left when I hit the path which I believe is east. I decided to run on the trails parallel to the bike path because the surface is softer and runs much slower. The river was busier than I expected at 1 in the afternoon on Christmas and I ran into a dude named Ron House who was a pretty big fan of running. He was out for a 20 miler just because he felt like it and didn't have a marathon lined up soon. We talked running for a few miles (see when my splits got really slow) and the topics included the Beijing Olympic marathon, Mt. Sac 2005 when Bernard Lagat ran a sick 5k and the running scene in Maryland/Washington D.C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I planned a little run with carrot top for this afternoon. I managed to strain something behind my knee yesterday so we'll see how that pans out, but at least I'll have somebody with whom to face the wind at the grass track.