Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve

Time: 67:05
Distance: ~9.5 miles

I woke up this morning feeling terribly sore from some of the drills yesterday. I'm pretty sure that it was from the tapping drill that was done on the bench. I hobbled around the house trying to warm things up but it was pretty much certain that I was going to have to do the workout with some sore calves. Luckily, Meagan had some sore legs too and she wasn't too eager to get out the door.

Our warm up to the track and across the street to True Value to use the facilities was 20:12. The legs were tight but I thought I would be able to put in a good tempo effort on the track as Meagan cut some shapes. She was scheduled to run 8x400 in sub 78, but the workout was written about a month ago when Jeff didn't really know what kind of shape she would be in. I hoped to be able to help her out on this workout by running continuously at ~78 pace and then having her jump in for her 400s.

The track was buzzing with action this morning. The Palm Springs HS soccer squad was just finishing a breakfast of milk and donuts when while we stretched and did a few drills. There were three high school runners doing a mini-workout on the track with there coach of an opposing school. I didn't catch where they attended but the coach was young and seemed enthusiastic about the sport. A handful of other people were walking/jogging around the track and doing stadium stairs and I couldn't see a better way of spending a beautiful morning in sunny Palm Springs.

We started the workout by me running as close to 78 pace and her doing a couple 200s to find the pace. Her first 400 was on my third lap and then she jogged back 100 meters which meant she had about 60 seconds of rest before I came around the track again. My splits for 17 laps (4.25 miles) were:
81.65, 88.43, 81.53, 76.23 (5:22 mile)
81.26, 79.68, 80.19, 78.82 (5:20/10:42)
80.80, 79.95, 78.32, 81.11 (5:19/16:02)
78.85, 83.71, 77.86, 80.19 (5:18/21:22)
77.84 for 22:40 total and an average of 80.02.

I managed to hold right around 80s relatively comfortably, but I didn't feel as great as I hoped. Considering my run on last Friday I thought 80s were going to feel really easy. I guess I didn't prepare enough to hurt and I should have known that all workouts are painful to a certain extent.

Meagan and I jogged a few laps on the track before cooling down back to the house in 22:13.

Rolling in the Jag

Once we got to Brea to visit Jilane she took us to the shooting range. It's way better than Halo.

1 comment:

Jilane said...

This post kind of makes you look like a baller. Minus the running with girls thing.