Sunday, August 1, 2010

Long Run with Mr. Athleticore

Time: 112:01
Distance: 16.69 miles
Pace: 6:43
Map

Meagan and I started the run from Boyce at 7:30 this morning. I wanted to put in a few miles before meeting up with Pezz and Nick Frank. The goal mileage on the day was roughly 14 miles. We had great conditions as the sun was hidden behind a cloud layer and the temps were about 20 degrees cooler.

I put in almost 5 miles with the ladies before meeting up with Mr. Athleticore at the stage by the main entrance. He was planning on going 10 miles as he's just getting back into the swing of running. I found his website post about his interest in running after we finished. It's nice to know that triathletes see the discipline as pure. Our run seemed to fly by. We were clicking off some pretty decent splits, but the run felt totally comfortable. The conversation took various turns but was completely enjoyable as topics included training, finances, running, and work. All pretty basic stuff.

Splits:
8:28, 7:24, 7:52, 7:32, 7:09 (Nick joins, drop girls),
6:29, 6:31, 6:11, 6:15, 6:16, 6:19, 6:15, 6:13, 6:19, 6:09 (leave Nick at main entrance)
6:08, 4:30 for .69 miles back to Boyce

I was warned last night that Nick can come off as a douche. I mean, check out his website. Nice glamour shots! (I'm posting this after running with Nick for the second time and he acknowledge that the pics were for sponsorship opportunities). I was having drinks with my buddy Tyler who told me how on Saturday morning Nick started a Triple Threat vs. Everyone Else challenge. It was two Triple Threat guys vs. Tyler, Nick and one other dude on the bike. They raced for King of the Mountain, sprint and other individual and team bragging rights. Before the ride, Nick taped a Staples Easy Button to his bike and pressed it every time he won a mini-stage. Pretty ballsy, but douchey? To some yes, but to me it's clever and funny. I'd like to think that I'd rise to the occasion and not let the guy with a big red button on his bike beat me.

I realize the etiquette on the bike is much different than running. Nick realizes this and I got a good laugh out of the creativity of spicing up the training ride. During our run, I didn't catch any hint of over confidence/cockiness which made the prospect of running again a definite. Hopefully he gets back in good shape and starts showing up to some of the local races.

No comments: