Sunday, November 23, 2008

#5 OU vs. #2 Texas Tech

Time: ???
Distance: ~2 miles

Tonight Scotty and I packed up a couple backpacks and ran to campus just before kickoff of the big game. Our destination was Scotty Hollingsworth's tailgate along Lindsey. Running during football games is a great time with all the energy and excitement that goes along with the Sooner's 61-2 home record since Bob Stoops has been coach. It wasn't as cold as I thought it was going to be on the jog over and I couldn't figure out why everybody was bundled up sitting around the television. Soon after standing around in the shorty's I became frozen and clothing didn't seem to help my cause for gaining warmth. Luckily the tailgate next to Holly's had an over sized propane space heater gizmo that worked wonders.

At halftime Dizzle and I peaced out and headed to Kristi's for the remainder of the game but not before I made a dude puke. I was walking over to the bathrooms (read: port-o-potty) and this dude was standing awkwardly holding 2 beers (read: Keystone Lights). He yelled that he had a beer for me if I could just pick the one up off the ground that he was staring at. I picked it up and handed it to him, but he insisted that it was for me. I obliged and asked him if he wanted to "icki" (I'm not sure how to spell the Japanese word for chug) the drink. He begrudgingly agreed, but first we had to get to know one another. Our conversation went something like this...

Dude: Where you from?
Me: I'm from California.
Dude: No shit.
Me: Yea. Santa Rosa.
Dude: I'm from Talequah. My name is Aaron.
Me: I'm Jordan. Nice to meet you Aaron. We gonna drink this? I'm freezing (and have to pee).
Dude: Yea.
Me: Okay. You ready? (I start blowing the foam off the top of the beer and flick off the dirt).
Dude:
Wait. Are you a runner?
Me: Yea. Why?
Dude: You look like a runner.
Me: Thanks. You ready?
Dude: Yea. Ok let's do this.


At this point we start drinking and when I'm 3/4 of the way finished a lady walks out of the stall. She looks at me and sees that I'm in the middle of an intense contest with my new overalled redneck buddy from Talequah, but that doesn't stop her from asking...

Lady: Hey, are you a runner?
Me: (Who are these people? And why do they care that I run. Nobody else does). Yea I run a bit.
Lady: That's cool. I run too. Do you run marathons?
Me: I'm hoping to start soon.
Lady: I run marathons. Well, actually I've done a couple half marathons blah blah blah.

Meanwhile homeboy with the overalls is puking his brains out next to the bathroom. I'm trying to pay him no mind but he's really getting into it. The lady is half concerned about him but more interested in talking about running. I finish up the conversation as quickly as possible and head off to the bathroom but not before thanking Aaron for the beer. Thanks buddy, I'll catch you next time.

Oh yea. The Sooners manhandled the Red Raiders 65-21! So much for the game of the century.

1 comment:

Meagan Nedlo said...

Refresh my memory: which two teams have beaten Oklahoma at home?