Sunday, November 2, 2008

Tacos al Carbon

Time: 50:29
Distance: 7-8 miles

Gus and I finished up with the first half of the wax job and needed to let the stuff dry for about an hour which gave us a perfect amount of time to go find breakfast. Our first thought was to visit our good customer and friend Lynn Do who owns Sunny Side up along Robinson St. We got sidetracked a bit and made a quick detour to Ozzie's because I had never been there. Well, the place was packed and not with people dressed up like they had been at church. The place was filled with fat people from Norman who were looking for a ton of food at a low price. I wanted to join them, but it didn't happen. Next we went by Sunny Side and the parking lot was spilling over into the liquor store beside it. Maybe Norman is also full of drunks who needed a fix on Sunday morning around 10 am, but I think the Addiction/Ariel wearing Lynn Do was simply making a killing this morning.

Gus and I drove on looking for some other place that could use our business. We thought that McDonald's or Braum's might get it but we instead turned on Porter and spotted a shitty looking diner place with an open sign. Turned out that those wankers forgot to turn off the neon sign because they aren't open on Sundays. At this point Gus and I were getting pretty dejected and we started talking about opening our own breakfast place, it would only be open on Sundays. That's as far as our business plan got.

We took a quick spin through Campus Corner and saw that the place was crazy busy. People were waiting outside of Turquoise to get a seat, Starbucks looked packed and there were no accessible parking places in front of Cafe Plaid. We tossed around ideas of Denny's (woof!) and Ihop (Meagan's dad would approve) but then thought those wouldn't be wise. We figured that since OU played a night game against Nebraska (OU won big. In fact, they put up 35 points in the first quarter and 28 of them were scored in the first 5:33. They were on pace to score 154 points at that juncture...in the first half) a lot of people stayed in Norman and were getting breakfast before driving back to wherever Sooner fans come from. This didn't help our cause.

Gus took a short cut near Lowe's when we spotted a Peruvian restaurant, Mamaveca. They looked open, they probably had huevos rancheros (Gus' order, not mine) and they weren't busy. Mamaveca got our business on this day and I enjoyed the tacos al carbon with steak. It wasn't your typical Sunday breakfast, but it was good nonetheless. Gus and I left pretty full and were ready to finish waxing the floor. It didn't take as long as I had expected and I was still full from the breakfast that was more like dinner. I headed over to Starbucks for the afternoon and read an old Runner's World magazine to pass the time. I was hoping Scotty D would show up because I knew he was all jacked up after watching the NYC Marathon. Looks like he went on a 100 minute run instead. I chatted with Owen and my mom (not at the same time) during my stint at the 'bucks. Soon it was around 4 pm and it was time to head back to the east side of town so I got rid of the t-shirt and put on the headphones.

So that was pretty much my day. The run wasn't that interesting or eventful. I started clipping along Lindsey St. and finished strong. The legs felt good, which is good.

No comments: