Saturday, July 16, 2011

Beat the Heat 5k Watching

Time: 56:48
Distance: 12.05k

Pre-5k: 35:58 for 8.01k
Post 5k: 20:50 for 4.04k

Meagan and I traveled to Winston-Salem a few hours early to hang out at Fleet Feet Winston-Salem. They are a top account of mine and they also carry Craft apparel. We were both able to chat with staff and be around customers most of the afternoon. Once we left the store we headed over to the start of the race to pick up Meagan's packet and t-shirt. It was an awful neon green Hanes number that Michael Jordan wouldn't wear. We had about an hour to kill before she started her warm up so we looked for friends as they started to arrive including: Heather Magill, Caitlin, Thomas, Matt, John, Bobby Mack, Ryan Woods, Joe Moore, Devin Swann and others.

I started the warm up with Ryan Woods and Scott who is originally from Charlotte. We ran the back half of the course as preview and then found some extra miles. They were done after about 15 minutes so I continued on by myself around the parking lot until I got to 8k. It was great weather considering the time of year and the course was an honest one.

During the actual race I got to see the leaders and lead women three or four times. Meagan didn't have the best of races, Caitlin ran strong and Bobby killed it. He set a course record by a couple of seconds to finish in 14:15. He certainly should go after Scott Dvorak's state record of 14:08 soon.

After the race I jogged around with Bobby, Scott, Ryan, Devin and Joe. It was fun hearing about the race, but I wish I could have been out there. It will happen soon once I'm in a little better shape so I don't get my doors blown off by a field like tonight.

No comments: