Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Back on the Trails

Time: 79:09
Distance: 12.32 miles
Pace: 6:26
Map

I was up early because someone texted me at 5:00 am telling me that she had gotten 10 hours of sleep. So much for my 10 hours. I quickly looked to see if the Starbucks across the street was open and was shocked to see that it was. I put on some clothes and headed over for an early morning of productivity.

After being properly caffeinated, I put the Karhu running kicks on and got ready to hit the trails of Annadel. I was ready to take advantage of the cooler weather prior to coming out west, but this morning was nearly chilly. I actually had some cold fingers for the first 25 minutes. I ran a loop that was our standard 10 miler while I was in high school. I used to run this loop with Steve Laurie all the time and it brought back some memories of clipping off fast splits over the rocky terrain.

I had to back off the pace a couple of times so things didn't get out of control. I'm racing on Sunday in the CVS Downtown 5k and there is no need for me to ruin my quads a few days out. The run is pretty hilly and I intentionally relaxed so as not to crush the lungs and heart.

Splits:
7:32, 7:03, 6:09, 6:56, 6:59, 6:15, 6:14, 6:01, 5:55, 5:58, 6:15, 5:58

See that third mile split? Some girl came charging up a dam from the opposite side just as I crested the top. She was clipping along and breathing heavily. I ran relaxed a few strides behind maintaining my pace. She probably thought I was some creeper trying to shadowbox her in the fog of Spring Lake. I eventually picked up the pace and pulled away just before the real entrance to Annadel State Park and the climb to Lake Ilsanjo.

No comments: