Monday, September 13, 2010

Santa Rosa Stomping Grounds

Time: 48:19
Distance: 7.02 miles
Pace: 6:53
Map

I had an early start to the day when I woke up at 4:04 am EST. I finalized my packing situation, jumped in the shower and woke up Meagan so she could take me to the airport. I was flying from Charlotte, to DC and then off to SFO. Or so I thought. We got to DC airspace and couldn't land because of fog on the ground. We were redirected to Norfolk, VA which caused many on my flight much distress. I think the guy next to me was about to crap his pants because he kept trying to go to walk back to the bathroom, but we were seated in the front which meant others could easily beat him to the john. Finally, he had to say something to the flight attendant and he was able to reserve his spot at the crapper. Sorry for that.

I had already been re-booked twice on flights to SFO courtesy of being a baller with United Airlines. I have Premier Associate standing because my dad gives me the hook up. He's actually the baller in the family with his 1k status so his service with Unite Airlines is twice as nice. I eventually got to DC, missed my connection by about 3 hours, but was placed on the next flight out to SFO.

The caught up on my sleep while on the flights today despite drinking loads of coffee in the airport. I still refuse to pay foolish prices for crappy sandwich offerings and overpriced fruit. Instead I fuel with water and coffee during flights. If I'm feeling particularly gross I cap it off with some McDonald's just to ensure full relaxation.

I arrived in San Francisco and caught an airporter north to Petaluma where my mom met me. We drove up to Santa Rosa and got dinner at the Sonoma Taco Shop which brought back fond memories of my childhood. I stuffed myself with a taco salad because you can eat the deep fried crispy shell. I had few thoughts of getting in a run, but around 7:00 pm, a full 16 hours after waking up in Charlotte, I laced up the shoes and got out the door.

I didn't know how I would feel with the long day and Mexican food in my stomach, but I have had worse runs. My run followed a similar route I used to do early mornings in high school. I eventually found myself at Maria Carrillo where I ran a few laps of the track. I also took a few peeks in the windows of the school and was happy to see the North Bay League 2002 banner hanging in the gym. The school looks the same with it's outdoor layout. I wonder if the cool kids still hang out in the same spot near the overhang with the heaters.

No comments: