Wednesday, September 8, 2010

DC Fun Run with Owen

Time: 78:22
Distance: 9.56 miles
Pace: 8:11
Map

Yesterday evening I arrived in Washington, DC and immediately walked over to a bar with Owen to play some trivia. The team competition was close and our table was in the hunt for the win going into the final round which we absolutely tanked. The music round was not for Owen, Ben, myself and their two friends.

We were up relatively early for a run from Owen's house to Rock Creek Park. It was good to catch up and chat about all the people we do and don't keep up with these days. The weather was a plus too as it felt a bit like cross country season. Our average pace wasn't so hot but considering some of the hills and relaxed early pace it turned out being fine. After my run yesterday I'm not concerned about getting in quality runs, but just the stuff that will allow the body to recover.

After dropping Owen off at the Brookings Institute I headed over to Pacers' Arlington location. I found a money parking spot behind a building under heavy construction which allowed me to avoid the street meters. I had a great visit with the staff at the store and helped out as much as possible. From what I could tell, Karhu will be a success there. Later in the day I drove over to the newest Pacers store in Logan Circle which is right next to a Starbucks that I lounged at the last time I was in DC. This location is no more than 5 minutes from Owen's work. My parking spot this time was found across the street at Whole Foods.

I just missed the manager Robbie, but had a good chat with former American University runner Steve Hallinan. He is now one of the key members of the Pacers Elite Team. I half invited myself to their workout in the morning, but ended up not going because they are ready to start their intervals at 6:00 am and I was already going to have a long day.

No comments: