Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Summerville Running

Time: 34:27
Distance: 5.01
Pace: 6:52
Map

I was in Summerville, SC for this run and had no clue as to where to find four or five miles. From the sketchy hotel, motel that wasn't a Holiday Inn, I popped out onto the main strip. There were all sorts of your fantastically terrible restaurants, rib joints, burger palaces, Chinese buffets, along with stores like Best Buy, Wal*Mart, Michael's, etc. It was a great collection of America's finest.

I somehow found a quiet road that led me back into a development of houses and other two lane country roads. It was a simple out and back, but I was only on the main road for about 8 minutes total. In the end I was more than pleased with the distance and location of the run as when I originally started out I was convinced the run was going to be miserable.

When I made it to Charleston my plan was to have some good visits with accounts. I made contact at an outdoor store, met two really cool guys at a new bike shop on King St., checked out all the running memorabilia at On the Run, and chatted with the guys over at TrySports. My only bad encounter of the day came earlier when I was basically kicked out of a guy's store. Other reps have told me stories about this guy and he's built a reputation that makes working with him difficult. Some reps won't even sell to him now because of his foul attitude. Hopefully, I'll be able to brush this off and work things out in the future.

When I was at TrySports I asked the guys how long it took to get to Wilmington. They told me four hours, but I was convinced otherwise. I jumped in my car and sped off in the direction for the hometown of Michael Jordan. I made it just in time to visit two more accounts. I grabbed a quick cup of coffee and then drove to Durham. I don't even want to look at my odometer, but in the last 36 hours I've driven from Charlotte --> North Augusta --> Charleston --> Wilmington --> Durham. I signed up for this and I love it.

No comments: