Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chrome Bags at Carolina Cup

Time: none
Distance: none

I wasn't in the mood for any running today. I wasn't even in the mood to run a beer mile this evening. That's how beat I was when I finally got back to Charlotte.

My day began in DC where I was on the drizzly road a few tics before 5:00 am. I needed to be in Greensboro, NC for the Carolina Cup which is apparently the 4th oldest bike race in the United States. I found that hard to believe but that's what the announcer kept saying. I realized earlier this year, the owner Cycles de Oro was also the race director for the crit race in Greensboro. I asked about partnering with the event because he was also a Chrome dealer. I suggested a one lap fixed gear or free wheel race which he liked and asked that I put up the prizes. Simple enough.

The drive to Greensboro was long (5 hours) and I was half falling asleep the first 90 minutes (not good). I rallied and got to North Carolina safe and ready to set up a table at the race with Chrome bags, shoes and apparel. It was well received even though there were 4 racers in the single speed race. I would like to grow the race into a 20+ person race, but it's early.

The table I set up with shoes, bags and apparel from Chrome.

Close up shot of the Chrome griffin logo.

Sweet bike, but the rider would end up out of the prizes in 4th.

The four racers lines up at the start. The winner would be the guy on the far left who is also a really good mountain biker.

Charlie Brown shortly after winning the masters race. He broke away early and held on for the win. Later in the Cat 3 race he crashed and split his bike frame in half. Not good.


Close up shot of the Craft custom skin suit that would later be wrecked in a crash.

The racers were really appreciative of the prizes and I had a good time chatting with spectators about the brand. I didn't leave Greensboro until a little after 3:00 pm which put me back in Charlotte around 5:00 pm. I had diminishing interest in attending the Charlotte Running Club's Beer Mile the entire afternoon. I tried to rally for the nth consecutive time but just couldn't muster the energy. I said hello to Meagan, watched her leave for the beer mile, drank a beer of my own, responded to a couple of texts for my absence and promptly passed out on the living room floor.

No comments: