Sunday, July 26, 2009

Midnight Streak

Time: 40:22
Distance: 6.04 miles

W/u: 15:36 for 2.00 miles
Race: 15:05 for 5k
C/d: 9:46 for .94 miles (yes, that's really slow)

My pops and Roger rolled into town around 3 pm this afternoon and greeted me at the running shop. I was busy with a customer but made time for the family. The trip from SD (San Diego, not South Dakota) to OK went well enough. After work, Meagan and I met up with the duo at the Embassy Suites here in Norman. Surprisingly, it's a pretty solid place that sticks out like a sore thumb on the northern part of the city. The best part of the evening was the "manager's reception" which is an open invite to guests to drink for free at the bar. I couldn't pass up my favorite type of beer, free, so I had a few Shock Top. I couldn't eat all that much because I was going to race the Midnight Streak at 11:00 pm, but I nibbled on some nachos, pizza and artichoke dip. Iron stomach.

After a quick trip to Starbucks for some 'feine, it was time to hit I-35 for a ride up to the OKC Fairgrounds. The Midnight Streak was taking place inside the state fairgrounds for I believe the 5th year. The race has had a few hitches in the past including a short course due to the lead vehicle not knowing the course. This year's race shaped up as being no different as my warm up led me by a couple of volunteers who told me to go in the wrong direction.

The start of the race was a little delayed due to the number of people still picking up their packets. A little over 900 people would finish the 5k race which is great considering it starts at 11:00 pm. I told Jerry's Kids that I was going out hard on our warm up, but he didn't seem phased.

The race went out as planned, but there wasn't any "k" or mile markers along the course. I was wearing Mr. Garmin but I was trying not to glance at him during the competition. The pace was quick from the start and after the first mile the field as down to Jerry, a high schooler and me. The course took us to a hairpin and by this time Jerry and I had separated from the kid. At almost exactly halfway there was a steady climb for about 300 meters, nothing steep but enough for my sustained effort to drop Jerry's Kids. I could tell he was a little uncomfortable from the start as he was grunting every now and then. Down the hill I increased the lead and continued to feel good until the end of the race. My splits were:

4:38.63 (a good opening mile), 5:05.94 (slow due to the hill), 4:59.35 (should have pushed harder with 1k to go) for 15:05ish total.

I placed 1st by 14 seconds and felt comfortable doing so. I should have pressed a little bit more around the 4k mile mark and I think I could have broken 15:00.

Losing my challenge to Kim Smith.

Pops after the race with son.

Meagan after the race with boyfriend.

2 comments:

Tarpy said...

shock top is terrible beer. fact

Unknown said...

free beer is delicious.