Friday, July 31, 2009

A Stadium Record?

Time: 73:32
Distance: 11.46 miles

W/u: 22:57 for 3.01 miles
W/0: 6 mile tempo at 5:00 pace
C/d: 20:10 for 2.45 miles

I saw this workout on the schedule and had my doubts about being able to complete it at the proper pace. The warm up went well enough and I felt like this was going to be the best test of my fitness. I was delighted to see Scotty D roll up on his bike because that meant I had a pacer on the track and someone to hand me water if needed. The weather was the best it has been in recent weeks with cool temps (upper 60s) and low humidity.

I chose to run this workout on the track so that I would know exactly when the pace was going to shit. If I had run on the roads the pace would have the chance to really vary. Before getting started I made the comment that I was out to set the stadium record because I doubt anybody has run close to 30 mins for 6 miles on the Norman High School track.

Splits:
4:59.34, 4:59.35, 5:01.52 (15:37 at 5k),
5:04.67, 5:09.06, 5:01.54 for 30:15 total.

The first few miles rolled by as I was counting up the laps. Scotty tried to break the slight breeze on the homestretch but it was still noticeable. I was able to run about 3.5 miles comfortable before the wheels started to loosen. I didn't lose focus on the 5th mile but the pace definitely slipped as the effort got harder. The legs kept churning and I think my form stayed the same but the power from my legs wasn't there. I pushed the final 1k and was able to make the last mile respectable again to finish with a 5:03 mile average for the day. I texted Jailhouse and he said that it's probably the best tempo he has seen me complete.

1 comment:

Kevin Balance said...

Congrats on the killer workout. That's got to be a record.