Sunday, February 28, 2010

Eccentric Calf Loads

Time: 47:32
Distance: 7.05 miles
Pace: 6:44
Map

I went out to McAlpine with Meagan for the Sunday long run from Old Bell. I was going to run based on feel at an easy pace. I've read a few articles touting the benefits of eccentric calf raises/loads which are the downward or lowering motion of a calf raise. The idea is that the exercise helps to stretch and strengthen the tendon. I've done these in the past and have started doing them again after runs.

Today, I changed things up a bit by stopping near the 2 mile mark to do a set of 20 eccentric calf loads. The achilles was tightening up a bit and after the exercises it felt much better for the next 3 miles. I stopped again at 5 miles and repeated my routine. Once I was back at Old Bell after a total of 7 miles I did the calf loads again.

I made sure to stretch and massage my leg before throwing on a big bag of ice.

No comments: