Sunday, February 21, 2010

Week in Review

Time: 668:34
Distance: 96.34 miles

I had a nice effort on Wednesday afternoon, but didn't quite get the amount of volume I was hoping for. I chatted with Jeff after the workout and told him why I cut it short at 11 miles. Despite not getting in the full workout, I gained confidence from it. I know that at the National Marathon I'll be capable of running up front near the leaders. If the pace drops to 5:15s at mile 18 I'm not going to back down or be afraid to continue pushing. I also know that if the pace is hovering around 5:22, I will be able to shake things up with a sub-5:15 mile or two. The body is responding well to the aerobic efforts.

Later in the week the amount of miles and lack of sleep caught up with me. My achilles started whispering that I better start paying better attention to all the minor details off the roads. I've incorporated very little stretching, icing or drills into my routine. I ended the week by listening to my body and not doing anything beyond what I thought it was capable of handling. Hard to do, but smart decision.

Shout out to Paul Mainwaring who took home the Cupid's Cup 5k crown on Saturday with a time of 15:58 and Caitlin Chrisman for winning the Winter Flight 8k. Also, congrats to Jay Holder who finished 3rd in the men's race up in Salisbury.

No comments: