Saturday, February 6, 2010

10 mile Tempo Run

Time: 127:09
Distance: 19.45 miles

W/u: 31:54 for 4.18 miles
W/o: 10 mile tempo at MP or faster
C/d: 42:00 for 5.27 miles

After getting CPR certified I spent a relaxing afternoon at home trying to get fired up to run this workout. I needed to run well to know that the legs are still feeling fresh and to confirm that the training is going in the right direction. I mapped out a route near the Dowd YMCA that I would loop several times. Essentially, it was a roughly 1.80 mile loop that provided some uphills and downhills, a few turns and little traffic.

I warmed up from the house with my flats in hand. The plan was to first run to RFYL so that I could ditch the tights and change the shoes. I would then continue on to the corner of my starting point down by Latta Park. I didn't realize that the warm up was going to put me over 4 miles. Oh well, these are the mistakes that I can make with marathon training.

Splits:
5:23, 5:22, 5:19, 5:22, 5:18,
5:25, 5:12, 5:24, 5:19, 5:12 for 53:15 total.

Man that was rough, but good. I felt very much in control throughout and fell into a nice rhythm along the loop. I focused on taking advantage of the downhills, and pressing on the uphill sections without losing form or going to the well. I was pleased at how I was able to maintain a consistent effort without letting the slow miles get to me. When I had a little more downhill on the section I split 5:12, when it was more difficult the split ended up being mid-5:20s. I had a good chat about this workout with Jeff and his comments reiterated that the training is going well.

I cooled down back to RFYL and then got lost as I attempted to find a shortcut back through Freedom Park. The miles really added up quickly this afternoon, but the body is still responding well.

No comments: