Saturday, February 20, 2010

Umstead State Park

Time: 90:37
Distance: 12.31 miles
Pace: 7:20
Map

Last night Mike and I hung out on Duke's campus with some B-school kids. We ended up having a great time and I think Fuqua's status might have inched up a few points in Mike's book. Perhaps I will have a place to crash next fall when I travel to the Raleigh/Durham area.

We attended an auction that was raising money for the Special Olympics. First item on the ballot were tickets to an after party with the Black Eyed Peas. The winning bidder paid $800 for a limo ride, back stage passes with the dean and his wife and some other perks. Other items on the night included a signed Coach K basketball that went for $400, Kiawah resort rooms and a week in the British Virgin Islands. I was a little surprised to see grad students toss around $1500 bids for such items, but I guess that's how they roll at Fuqua. One guy that could afford to bid on such items and didn't was Pat Garrity who played 10 seasons in the NBA. That dude was huge.

We hit a restaurant and a few bars before calling it a night. In the morning Mike realized that he couldn't find his i.d. I remember him showing the bouncer at 12:30 the night before, but apparently it never made it back into his pocket. Somehow DeCoste managed to get his ass on the 7:20 flight back to Boston. And you wonder how KSM can get jihadists on flights.

After dropping Mike at the airport I headed to the Reedy Creek entrance at Umstead State Park. I had time to get in some extra zzz before the 8 am start of the run. I was meeting Joe Lust and Kevin Taylor for some miles through the park. Joe is the guy who I ran with one time a few months ago and Kevin is a former athlete of Steve Spence's at Shippenburg State.

I felt decent on the run, not great though. A couple of times we ran across Jim Micheels, owner of Raleigh Running Outfitters, putting in work. My achilles held up, but I could tell that the lack of sleep the last two night was catching up with me. The worst part of the body were my quads. I think the hills from Buehler's trail really thrashed them. It will be important for me to get some proper rest this weekend.

3 comments:

Coste said...

I'm convinced the mechanical bull at shooters stole it from me. that thing was giving me the stink eye all night.

Unknown said...

now are you talking about shooters I or shooters II?

Coste said...

wait, what happened to shooters I?!?!?