Monday, April 19, 2010

Dirty Hipster

Time: 49:50
Distance: 6.96 miles
Pace: 7:09
Map

After the Let Me Run program got out this evening I drove over to Caitlin's house for a double run. I could include the 37 minutes of running I did with the youngsters, but we only covered 2.8 miles. It was a glorified walk, an 800 meter shuffle that doesn't deserve logging.

Our run this evening took us all around Uptown. We hit up the little bike path that runs on the west side of I-77. My legs continue to feel a bit sluggish and the tight right hamstring remains. The only eventful part of this run occurred moments before it ended. Caitlin and I were running back on McDowell when we crossed 5th or 6th street. We crossed the street without the light and some clown on his rusty bike sped up to nearly hit me. I don't think he was purposely trying to hit me, but he came within a few feet. He made some off hand comment and I responded.

We went back and forth until he decided to stop at the intersection at 7th street. This is when I got to get a good look at the dirty hipster. He was wearing an old pair of red Adidas breakdance pants with a pair of ripped mesh basketball shorts over the top. He had attached a green plastic boa to his yellow courier bag so that it flowed behind him like a tail. To top things off Mr. Hipster rocked a pair of Barbie sunglasses with pink frames. His whole ensemble was too easy to poke fun at and he eventually rode off to smoke a clove cigarette, drink a PBR and cry himself to sleep.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey take it easy man, I did just adorn my bike with a green plastic boa for extra flare and I mean if you see someone without wheels underneath them, isn't your natural tendency to speed up and at least try to scare the shit out of them to reinforce the known hierarchy. I still love the story of skolnick getting berated by a cyclist in Albuquerque because he decided to run a red light when there was no one at the intersection. While I celebrate the invention of the bicycle, I have a lot of issues with the ego that this vehicle seems to impose on the unlikeliest of characters.

Unknown said...

And then i Mr. Dirty Hipster again last night on my drive home from JCSU. Too bad I'm not nearly as gutsy as you Jordan because I know you would have screamed out the window at him.

Anonymous said...

See - this is why I'm a fan of this blog.  Anybody can write 'I ran 8.5 miles at 7:10 pace'.  But to conjure up images of a clove-cigarette-smoking, PBR-drinking, teary-eyed hipster?  That's good stuff.