Thursday, April 15, 2010

Finding Some Speed

Time: 40:05
Distance: 5.67 miles

W/u: 15:21 for 2.06 miles
W/o: 8 x 200 w/ 200 jog. Target 12 mins.
C/d: 12:38 for 1.61 miles

I didn't feel like just running another double through Freedom Park this evening. Instead I decided to take a longer route to a nearby track at Alexander Graham Middle School. The AG track has quite the reputation in Charlotte for whatever reason. Most athletes from Queens scoff at the idea of running a workout on the track because lane one isn't quite 400 meters and the surface is falling apart. They are too busy snobbing it up in the ghetto on Johnson C. Smiths Mondo track surface. Personally, JCSU is fine for running a big time workout and racing, but it beats up the legs too much and driving halfway across town sucks. I'd much prefer to warm up a couple of miles to a track and run on a crappy venue so that when I do get on a good surface it's that much better.

I went through some drills and light strides on the soccer field before starting my quick workout. The goal was to try and break 12 minutes for 8 laps of running. Ideally you're running the hard 200s in 30-32 and taking about 55-60 sec. rest on the jog. I hit splits of:

(52), 32.13, (60), 31.20, (60), 30.82, (62), 31.64,
(61), 31.50, (59), 31.12, (60), 31.30, (61), 30.11 for 12:05.76 total and 3200 meters.

I was happy that I felt really relaxed on the hard sections. I never strained and just wanted to have quick turnover. The form felt good and I was light on the feet. I didn't recover as quickly I should, but that will come as the body gets used to running fast again.

I'm waiting on getting my new cycle that is going to be more speed/drill focused. I've gotten away from using the fast twitch muscle fibers that brought me into the sport. It's time to go on a search for them in the next few months.

No comments: