Tuesday, April 6, 2010

UNC Track Night Workout

Time: 35:30
Distance: ~5 miles

W/u: 16:08 for 2.18 miles
W/o: 8 x 200m w/ (200m rest)
C/d: 5:26 for .61 miles barefoot

I was at a Healthcare Provider Day hosted by Fleet Feet Carrboro this afternoon. I was attending on behalf of Orthaheel which is an orthotic sandal line that is fully functional, but also fashionable. The product was really well received by all the physical therapists, podiatrists and other docs who attended. Beyond chatting with the owners, staff and medical practitioners, I was able to have a couple of good conversations with Chris Bevin who is the general manager of Balega. Chris is traveling to South Africa on Thursday to work on the future sock line of Balega.

After the event ended, I felt like getting in a run around campus. I found the track and parked my car near a bustling field of intramural athletics. I warmed up a couple of miles before heading down to the track in order to run some light 200s.

Splits:
32.02, (57), 32.70, (54), 32.34, (78), 31.92, (79),
31.54, (80), 30.80, (81), 31.35, (82), 30.63, (70) for 13:56 total and a little over 2 miles.

You'll notice that the rest gets significantly longer after the third interval. That's because a sorority/fraternity was holding some step show in lanes 3 to 8 on the home stretch. I didn't want to interfere so after my hard 200, I would simply turn around and run back in a middle lane.

I felt good running tall, quick and relaxed. My goal was to keep good knee lift, arm carry and turnover without straining. If this were 2006, the splits would have all been under 30 secs. I wonder if I could break 4:20 today? Give me three weeks of true speed work and I could run 4:15 or so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The ol' stomping ground! If I had a nickel for every 200 I ran on that track. Although it's pretty, okay highly, doubtful I could ever have gone sub-4:20. Especially on that track - it had a pothole in lane one back then. Pretty good sign your track program is struggling.