Thursday, April 29, 2010

Speed Development

Time: 65:16
Distance: 9.02 miles

W/u: 42:47 for 6.01 miles
W/o: 2 x 100m @ 85%, 2 x 50m @ 100%, 2 x 100m @ 95%
C/d: 22:29 for 3.01 miles

I drove over to JCSU this afternoon for some speed development. Last week beat me up pretty good, but I know it's all a process to getting the fast twitch fibers to start firing efficiently again. Today's workout on paper seemed pretty easy, but trying to run near all out and relaxed is a challenge at this point. I basically strain off the line and run tense until the tape.

I put in 6 miles from the track to the cemetery and was able to meet up with Simon and Jenna. She was going to join me in the embarrassment of sprinting on JCSU's track. I even brought spike at her suggestion because there might have been some "races" planned. Simon was doing a swift 12 x 300 workout with a minute rest and ended up probably averaging 43 high to 44 low.

I did some drills and light strides prior to slipping into spikes for the first time in about a year. It was fun getting that fast feeling again. Once you put spikes on, you know it's time to run fast.

I didn't time any of the workout except my final 100m. I did the first effort with a floating start and all the others were from a standing start. I had plenty of rest between sprints, I'd guess around 2-4 minutes. The race between Jenna and I wasn't even close as her blades were no match for my raw strength. Just kidding, it was definitely the slowest 100m race in recent history on that track. Even the Mondo surface couldn't bring us to respectability.

Any guesses on the final 100m? I hand timed it with my Garmin so the accuracy might be a little off based on when I could hit the buttons. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the time knowing I was already starting to feel the effects of the two 50m efforts.

Free pair of Balega socks to the individual who gets closest. Mini-contest ends Monday at 12 pm EST.