Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Get Down Speed

Time: ~54:28
Distance: ~8 miles

W/u: 22:46 for 3.01 miles
W/o: 4 x 150m (jog 50m, sprint 50m, float 50m); 3 x 70m at 99%; 4 x 120m at 95% (jog 280m)
C/d: 22:42 for 2.77 miles

Today was the first day of the new cycle where I got to work on my get down speed. It was rough, and I don't have much speed anymore. This will definitely be a work in progress for the next few weeks until I feel comfortable and confident really getting the legs turned over.

I did a nice slow, hilly warm up to the AG track. It was a little rainy out so I sported some "manpris" and a light jacket over to the track. I didn't bring flats because I think the Karhu Forward Rides are plenty capable of running fast. I even had a guy who was getting ready to lead a training group ask me about the shoes. He said he tried on a different pair of Karhu shoes a few weeks/months ago, but ended up going with something else. He liked what I had to say about the pair I was wearing.

The workout got started shortly after I did some easy drills. First up was 4 x 150m (I actually read the schedule wrong and was only supposed to do 3 with no rest). Instead I did 4 with a 250m recovery. I felt a bit strained as I really started pumping the arms during the middle 50m. It took me a couple to get warmed up, but then I was fine.

The middle section consisted of 3 x 70m from a standing start. What a way to make someone feel slow! The wet surface, training shoes and getting away from some speed made these feel terrible. It took me about 15m just to feel like I was running. From 20m to 50m I was pretty much at top speed and then I just held on for the last 20m. I shut things down and coasted the rest of the straightaway. I walked back to the start line.

The final portion was 4 x 120m with a 280m recovery. I actually timed this section and ran the 120m in 17 secs with a jogging start. I could tell that my hamstrings had already been challenged in those 70m sprints. This final section allowed me to stretch out the legs and find a more natural, fluid stride down the backstretch. I ran about 7:00 for the mile in lane 3.

My cool down back the house was nice and easy. I shuffled around the track a few laps while the training group began their warm up. One lady was even wearing a pair of Karhu shoes! A volleyball team was also just getting started and three dudes (one with a baby jogger) were attacking a decent workout. I didn't expect there to be that much action at the AG track on a damp evening. It was much better than being out there solo.

No comments: