Saturday, January 23, 2010

Back on the Horse

Time: 83:31
Distance: 13.26

W/u: 22:10 for 2.84 miles
W/o: 8 mile tempo at MP or 10 sec. faster
C/d: 18:42 for 2.42 miles

I hopped in the car this morning all bundled up for a drive back out to McAlpine. The car's windows are still bashed in and driving in the light drizzle was extremely discouraging. My spirits were lifted a bit when a bunch of other cars started arriving at the Old Bell entrance. There were probably 15 people on the 2 mile warm up prior to the workout. We even shared stories about past break ins at McAlpine. I guess you haven't experienced McAlpine or become a true McAlpine Harrier until something gets stolen out of your car from one of the park's parking lots.

The 8-mile tempo that was on tap yesterday afternoon was now this morning's workout. The plan was to run about 5:20s for the effort and maybe a little faster if I could get the legs turning over. The course started from the Old Bell parking lot, ran 4 miles out to the greenway and back. There would be a light breeze on the way out.

Splits:
5:21, 5:16, 5:19, 5:25 (21:21 at 4 miles)
5:21, 5:20, 5:22, 5:15 (21:18 last 4 miles)
42:39 total for 8 miles

I thought the workout went well. I struggled the fourth mile which was slightly uphill. The pace felt fairly comfortable and the last mile was very much in control. The goal at the end of the workout was to feel like I could have gone an extra mile or two at the same pace, and I definitely think I could. Now I know I can run 8 miles at 5:20 pace, just gotta find the other 18.

No comments: